Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can any one offer a relatively simple example sentence that uses devoir in the passé composé? I'm having trouble figuring out when it would be used.

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by Un francophone, Laure, Nikana Reklawyks, Gilles Feb 27 '13 at 13:07

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

In which way devoir is special that its use in passé composé would be problematic? –  Un francophone Feb 27 '13 at 6:33

Apparently none =), but I was having trouble seeing that. See my comment below the accepted answer. –  sh1ftst0rm Feb 27 '13 at 11:38

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Ce matin, j'avais oublié mon sac à la maison. J'ai dû retourner le chercher.

Ils se sont très mal comportés et ont dû aller présenter leurs excuses.

share|improve this answer

Simple enough, thanks! I think I was having trouble figuring out when it would be in p.c. and when it would be imperfect. That, and google translate kept using "avoir besoin". –  sh1ftst0rm Feb 27 '13 at 11:38

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.