French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm having trouble figuring out what “espace design” means since “designer space” doesn't really mean much in English.

To provide a bit more context, the article is about a fashion exhibition that takes place or is set up in “un espace design”.

Any help would be much appreciated.

One idea I've come up with is “boutique space”

share|improve this question
fashion show space...I never heard of a fashion exhibition....unless it's a museum. – Lambie Jul 24 at 12:57

The obvious English appearance of the word design gives it a distinctive recherché feeling that design in English just doesn't have. Designer used as an adjective comes a lot closer.

In this context, espace is an exhibition hall, typically a building comprising a large room with temporary booths that people wander around. Designer space is actually not far from the mark, but doesn't quite sound right in English. Designer hall? Designer exhibit?

This article about an “espace design” in Montréal translates the expression with Designer studio.

share|improve this answer

As I understand it, it seems that "un espace design" here means a place reserved for Design exhibitions, it generally is placed in a store where consumers can look at new and innovating products.

share|improve this answer
ah! how does the simple "exhibit" sound to you? – corgibutt Mar 1 '13 at 15:09

Design exhibit area should do it.

Or maybe the longer alternative design-themed exhibition space

share|improve this answer

In that context, the author just wants to emphasize that the exhibition place is decorated in a modern and creative way, what is familiarly called "design" in french. Like "un meuble design", "une voiture design".

It just means that the particular object which is "design", express creativity/modernity

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.