Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to make up a sentence that describes one of the goals of réalisme. I need to explain, that réalisme is trying to capture and describe the story that is happening inside the characters, rather than the actual events. So simply:

Naturalism is trying to capture the inside of human soul

If I'm wrong with this statement, please correct me. I'm not a literature student. This is what I'd say:

Le naturalisme essaie d'expliquer les entrailles des personnages.

share|improve this question
Naturalisme ou réalisme ? Il faut choisir. Quoique... –  Romain VALERI Apr 3 '13 at 8:45

3 Answers 3

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Sticking to your description “réalisme is trying to capture and describe the story that is happening inside the characters, rather than the actual events”, I would suggest the following:

Le Réalisme s'attache à restituer la psyché des personnages.

Now, if you really think of this as “capturing the inside of human soul”, you might consider something less prosaic. Maybe the following:

Le Réalisme entend reproduire les dimensions intérieures de l'être.

share|improve this answer

As is, it doesn't mean what you think, since les entrailles means literally the guts. If you want a translation, I have several propositions:

• try could be rendered as essaie, tente or vise à
  • capture as appréhender, restituer, retranscrire or simply capturer
  • the inside as les profondeurs or les tréfonds
  • the human soul as l'esprit humain, l'âme humaine

I would go for

Le naturalisme vise à appréhender les profondeurs de l'âme humaine.

Thank you for all the propositions, they surely will be useful in the future. –  Tomáš Zato Apr 2 '13 at 23:36

« Spleen » ça se peut ?

Le beau est toujours bizarre. — Baudelaire

Sinon, je dirais

Le naturalisme tente d'expliquer l'âme de l'être humaine.

Suggestion discutable, moi en tout cas j'aimerais bien un peu plus d'explications. Tout de même, bienvenue :) –  Nikana Reklawyks Apr 9 '13 at 6:53

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.