Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What does the following sentence, by Diderot in Le Neveu de Rameau, mean?

On est dédommagé de la perte de son innocence par celle de ses préjugés.

I understand that it couldn't be a simple answer to it. And may be it's not appropriate to ask such a question. But I want to know an answer.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

La perte des préjugés est une contrepartie intéressante à la perte de l'innocence.

(Je ne peux être d'accord, je vois bien trop souvent des gens ayant perdu leur innocence jusqu'à en être indécemment cynique mais qui ont l'air dans le processus de n'avoir perdu aucun de leurs préjugés, et même, d'en avoir acquis de nouveaux.)

share|improve this answer

Merci pour la réponse. Mais de quelles préjugés parle Diderot si l'innocence est le contraire de cynisme? –  Oleg Pavliv Apr 23 '13 at 18:21

Innocence ici est un synonyme de candeur (voir Candide). Je crois que Diderot ne parle pas de préjugés bien déterminés, mais des préjugés en général, et c'est ce qui cause mon désaccord. –  Un francophone Apr 23 '13 at 19:47

Literally, I would translate it as: “The loss of one's innocence is compensated by the loss of one's prejudices”. My guess is that according to Diderot, once innocence is definitely lost, for some reason or another, one way to redeem ourselves is to move forward, and earn back pieces of innocence by losing our prejudices.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.