Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking for audio or video in French that is accurately transcribed. Preferably, a series or podcast with multiple chapters.

Right now I go to youtube, type in a word in French and filter by "close captions", but it's too hit or miss.

I've found a few videos with proper subtitles. I'm not sure if this is the place to make a list, but I'd love to know of others:

share|improve this question

Are you only interested in French version subtitled in French? Or are you also interested in English version subtitled in French for instance? –  JeromeJ May 15 '13 at 3:23

French version subtitles in French is what I'm looking for –  nachocab May 15 '13 at 13:32

Please note that French subtitles will seldom be exactly the same as French spoken words, because of rules to be applied on subtitles. –  Bartdude May 15 '13 at 15:16

really? what rules? The above videos match pretty well –  nachocab May 16 '13 at 8:20

6 Answers 6

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Try audiobooks!

I don't know why I didn't think about them earlier but they perfectly fit your request in a certain way, doesn't it?

You can buy the book to read it while you listen to the narrator.

I know there are several audiobooks out there. Personally, I had the first Harry Potter (in French of course) when I was younger.

share|improve this answer
That's a pretty good idea. I hadn't though of it either. Thanks! –  nachocab May 18 '13 at 12:49

Try to see the channel 7jours of youtube, it offres the news and it has hard subtitles. But if you want to find videos with soft subtitles with accurate subtitles, I'm sorry, I have no idea.

This is the link

http://www.youtube.com/user/7jours?feature=watch

Disclaimer: I write software for Yabla.

Yabla is a video site designed for language learners: http://french.yabla.com/

Our videos are transcribed and translated. Each video is transcribed, translated, and proofread using at least 4 different people: two native French speakers and two native English speakers. It is rare that our videos have an error in the transcription or translation.

We also have other nice features like integrated dictionaries, and phrase-by-phase navigation, built in to the video player.

The downside is Yabla is not free ($10/month) but we do offer free access to some videos: http://french.yabla.com/demo.php

No signup of any sort is required to watch the demo videos.

Yabla French Sceenshot

Didn't know about Yabla. It looks awesome. I think I might sign up :) Just fyi, the spanish demo video in the homepage doesn't play. –  nachocab Mar 2 at 18:48

I've found the audio clips here at http://www.rfi.fr/lffr/pages/001/accueil_exercice_ecoute.asp to avail, though they're laconic and few in number. For the transcriptions, click on "Voir les réponses" and then "Lire la transcription." These links figure in small font unfortunately so you'll have to descry them.

There is an old TV show from the late 70's that was made in Ontario (for the channel TVO) for English speakers to help them learn French. It's called "Parlez-moi" and feats Marc Favreau.

The sketches are about real life situations. Marc Favreau first tells people the expressions and their translations then there's a sketch using these expressions.

You can find some of the videos on Youtube and you seem to be able to watch them on sidereel.

Try to look for French songs with the lyrics inscribed in them at first ? I don't know many French podcasts that are transcribed, sadly.

That's a good idea. I was hoping for more conversational French, though. –  nachocab May 11 '13 at 16:53
Alternatively, you could just find the French song then search for "Paroles de " plus the author and the title of the song on the web. –  JeromeJ May 15 '13 at 3:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.