Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying for find a suitable translation for the German word kraftbetätigt. It is some kind of power-assisted action using a motorised or hydraulic power source. For example, kraftbetätigte Schutzschieber.

One suggestion has been assisté or asservi with hydrauliquement or électriquement added as a supplement if the power type is known.

We are looking for a succinct term to use for our terminology. Any suggestions welcome.

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

Assisté or motorisé seems better than asservi (which I'd use when tracking is in place).

share|improve this answer

In this case, I think it would be better described as actionné à distance.

In standard technical jargon, the power source is however specified as follows:

à commande hydraulique (pneumatique, électrique, etc.).

Linguee sometimes reports such occurrences, e.g here and here.

I can imagine very easily something "à commande électrique" with an hydraulic power source. I don't know enough of German to state how this influence the qualitiy of your suggestion. –  Un francophone May 17 '13 at 18:21

@Unf: I think “actionner” would be quite a good match for “betätigen” (hopefully, the wiktionary can confirm…). –  Stéphane Gimenez May 17 '13 at 20:09

I think of actionné par une source d'énergie extérieure.

I think that the translation could also bring up the general idea of "a running state electrical device".

Der Schutzschieber bleibt kraftbetätigt, die Spritzeinheit horizontal.

The safety gate remains poweractivated, the injection unit horizontal.

To me, this word means a general idea of "something motorized or running with a mecanical force"

I've seen this translation at Linguee and I can't really make much sense of it. Do you have a (short) French translation for 'power-activated' ? –  paul May 15 '13 at 7:16

I'd say "allumé" or "en fonctionnement" ... –  Xaltar May 15 '13 at 7:17

Not sure that is correct. Power-activated means activated using power - as opposed to activated by hand. e.g. power-steering –  paul May 15 '13 at 9:45

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.