Is there any good translation for that English phrase? Something with the same general sens but different literal wording?

Give me that cat, or else!

I'm specifically interested in a translation for or else as it appears at the end of an English sentence, as a threat/warning.

3 Answers 3

Both sinon and ou alors suit your needs, but it has to be at the end of the sentence, and you must somehow pronounce(!) the ellipsis-exclamation mark (you can use either a long-lasting sound or a very sharp stress on the very last syllable):

File-moi le chat, sinon… !

Envoie ce chat par ici, ou alors… !

The threat can as well be specified. Chiefly “ça va barder”. And sinon can also be completed with “sinon gare !

• Very true about the pronunciation of '...!' I'd like to add that "ça va barder" is rather France-specific. Westwards, we'd tend to use "ça va mal aller" or "ça va mal tourner", both of which promise bad things while staying quite vague
    – 3Doubloons
    May 22, 2013 at 0:06
  • (+1) Excellente réponse. Anecdotiquement, et au risque de nous faire passer (nous autres lorrains) pour des rustres une fois de plus, j'avoue que je n'ai entendu ça va barder... ! que dans le discours lissé des médias, notamment des médias datés ou pour enfants. C'est à peu près aussi courant que Saperlipopette. La seule variante employée ici au quotidien est ça va chier... !, voire parfois ça va mal aller... ! May 22, 2013 at 11:43

I believe that you are looking for 'sinon'.

Example:

Do your work, or else!

Fais ton travail, sinon!

EDIT: Since the 'or else' specifically refers to a threat, the below doesn't apply.

Or:

You should do it that way, or else, it won't work.

Tu dois le faire comme ça, sinon, cela ne marchera pas.

• @StéphaneGimenez I just saw the edit, geeze!
    – Jerry
    May 21, 2013 at 20:41

The translation would be "ou alors" or "sinon". But they are very rarely used at the end of a sentence, but rather to describe an explanation/alternative/etc...

• +1 I overlooked 'ou alors' =P It works just as well imo.
    – Jerry
    May 21, 2013 at 20:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.