Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In some 19th Century texts that I've been reading, the word "toilette" is used in a way that doesn't seem to mean "toilet".

Such as: "lui fit remarquer la vieillerie de la toilette de madame de Bargeton".

Everywhere I look online, I can only find a meaning synonymous with the english word "toilet"... Does it have another meaning?

share|improve this question
For you next searchs, all the resources cited here that I checked had the correct answer available. –  Un francophone May 22 '13 at 11:10
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

"toilette" in the context you specified (noun) is used in a similar way to "outfit".

You can find some entries on Larousse.

Ensemble des vêtements et des accessoires portés par quelqu'un.

Other uses as noun Dictionary reverso include getting clean and/or groomed depending on the context.

Although... I also noticed that the English dictionaires have the definition of "toilette" as meaning "outfit", for instance FreeDictionary.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.