Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How do I distinguish à cette heure from à sept heures, when pronounced?

It occurred to me when once I wanted to say "at this time", and then I realized I had just said "at 7". I guess I probably should have used "en ce moment", right?

share|improve this question
Le car pour Sète, il part à Caen?... –  mouviciel May 27 '13 at 7:36
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 6 down vote accepted

Generally, when referring to "at this time", we can also say À cette heure-ci, […].

Plus, À cette heure all alone sounds weird to me, I don't know.

En ce moment is right too though.

share|improve this answer

Oh ok, thanks. À cette heure couold be used when describing an event, like in a newspaper. "At that time (hour), the policemen broke into the building" –  Ricky Robinson May 27 '13 at 8:38
add comment

There should not be any ambiguity actually.

If during the conversation, a time was explicitly mentioned, people will understand à cette heure :

— On se retrouve dimanche matin vers huit heures?

— Oh là, à cette heure je serai encore au lit!

However, if you mention a time just out of the blue, it will be clear you mean à sept heures

— On se retrouve dimanche matin?

— À sept heures, ça te va?

Also, note that, in a rather formal or litterary context, à cette heure can also mean right now.

share|improve this answer

I find the first example much more ambiguous than any other I could have thought. How do you know that the guy didn't mean "at 7 I'll still be in bed"? –  Ricky Robinson May 27 '13 at 8:35
In the first example I would naturally use “à cette heure-là” — no risk of misunderstanding. –  Stéphane Gimenez May 27 '13 at 9:55

@RickyRobinson because if he meant "at 7", there should be a followup sentence, like "Oh là, à 7h je serai encore au lit, alors je pense pas que je pourrai être là à 8h!", otherwise, the statement is missing some sense. –  Alexis Pigeon May 27 '13 at 10:19

@StéphaneGimenez Might be something regional then, I would naturally use and expect from others "à cette heure" :) –  Alexis Pigeon May 27 '13 at 10:21

Except for in a written text, I think I will avoid all uses of "à cette heure" and limit myself to “à cette heure-là” or “à cette heure-ci”, depending on the context. –  Ricky Robinson May 28 '13 at 12:40
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.