Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I lived near Bergerac for a few years, but didn't really use Facebook to connect with my French friends until I left the country really.

I often see tkt used, but I cannot figure out the context, or really what it means. A friend expanded it for me a while ago but it was not clear to me why he was using it in that sentence.

If somebody could expand it, translate it and use it in a few contexts, that would be much appreciated.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

tkt is SMS lingo for t'inquiète, shortened form of ne t'inquiète pas. It has the same usage as don't worry or that is all right in English.

— Désolé pour hier soir
— T'inquiète

— Sorry for last night
— Don't worry, that's all right

And, recently, I believe, it has started to be used to emphasize an affirmation

Oh, t'as la classe, ce soir
T'inquiète, bien sûr que j'ai la classe

— Wow, you're classy, tonight
— You bet your ass I am¹

but this usage still sounds very banlieusard.

¹ Fell free to correct my attempts at American English slang.

share|improve this answer

Merci, c'est la réponse exacte que je voulais. –  m88ulv May 31 '13 at 8:57

That's definitely American English and not British English slang haha –  m88ulv May 31 '13 at 9:46

@MartinMulvey What would it be in British English? –  Evpok May 31 '13 at 10:58

@evpok "you bet your arse"? >_>;; –  Circeus Jun 1 '13 at 8:02

It would depend which part of the country you were from. I would say something like "obviously." In that context. –  m88ulv Jun 3 '13 at 21:36

This is precisely the same thing English people tend to use some time that is np for No Problem.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.