Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have seen both an and année used almost interchangeably in both singular and plural. Are they really interchangeable? Does it depend on some dialects or something else?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

They are not really interchangeable — since in some situations one is nearly always used and the other isn't — but using one instead of the other will often be understandable, just non-idiomatic or losing a nuance.

As a rule of thumb,

• an is used for the unit of time;

• année is used for a period of one year, usually contiguous, often with a implied precise beginning (1st of January — année civile —, 1st of September — année scolaire —, date of birth, ...).

• using année tend to focuses on what happened during the time span while using an focuses on the duration. For instance

• deux ans de travail de perdus emphasises the lost time (which could have been used for something else)

• deux années de travail de perdues emphasises the lost work (perhaps it has to be redone)

share|improve this answer

I would not rely to much on this though: l'an un, l'an de grâce, l'an 2000, année-lumière, etc. –  Stéphane Gimenez Jun 15 '13 at 13:24

There is a difference.

Année is used to express a notion of duration which is not in "an" (unit of time):

J'ai travaillé cinq ans dans cette entreprise (simply informative)

J'ai travaillé cinq années dans cette entreprise (we want to underline the fact that it is a long time)

I see another difference we may add to other answers. When we talk about a period of time in the History, we use the term années :

Cette technologie a été inventée dans les années 2000.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.