Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

If it's a reference to the family, Les Beauxhommes, do you still not pronounce the -s?

share|improve this question
add comment

1 Answer

Unless it's spelled Beauxhommès, I would intuitively not pronounce the final -s. However, note that there's no pronounciation rule for last names.

Also, unlike English, if the original name doesn't have a final -s, putting one when referring to the family is not correct. The family of Dominique Dupont is Les Dupont, not Les Duponts, whereas Homer Simpson's family is referred to as The Simpsons.

share|improve this answer

if it's spelled Beauxhommès I would avoid pronouncing it –  Mathieu Jun 27 '13 at 23:19
@Mathieu Why would you? –  Alexis Pigeon Jun 28 '13 at 7:25

I believe what @Mathieu means is that even in Beauxhommès you would pronounce the è but not the s, as in words like 'très'. That is, one would say /bozɔmɛ/ rather than /bozɔ'mɛs/ or /bo'zɔm/. But Beauxhommes would certainly be /bo'zɔm/. –  shva Jul 3 '13 at 20:00

@shva This would apply to common nouns, but not to family names. For example, you clearly pronounce the -s in Denis Podalydès or Yann Barthès –  Alexis Pigeon Jul 3 '13 at 20:13
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.