Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Do these constructions have a standardized way of being translated into English, or can their translation vary based on context?

More details:

I have noticed that these constructions are usually linked to the article partitif "du", answering the preceding question either in the positive (il y en a) or in the negative (il n'y en a pas).

But can they also be used in other contexts? For example, can they also be used purely idiomatically? If so, what would they mean if used only idiomatically?

share|improve this question
Right now, the simple answer is yes. Your question need more explanation. Do you have any example of why you are sruggling on this point? –  Impair Jul 12 '13 at 13:43

1 Answer 1

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Do these constructions have a standardized way of being translated into English, or can their translation vary based on context?

Depending on context, you may prefer to translate "there is (are some)/there isn't" with "il existe/il n’existe (aucun)", especialy in maths.

There are some idiomatic sentences using it that may more or less idiomatic, like "il n’y a qu’à voir" that you may prefer to translate "having a look at it say it all" or something like that.

Also, in a more familiar register, "(il) Y en a, je te jure…", may be translated "Some people make me feel so angry, I swear that would they be in front of me…".

But most of idiomatic sentences using this construction are idiomatic on an other part of the sentence, like "Il n’y a pas de quoi en faire un fromage !", that is "There's nothing to make a drama out of". Well you may just as well say "Il n’y a pas de quoi en faire un drame !", but you know that frenchs and cheese is an epic story. ;)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.