Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to know if "bêtise" and "sottise" can be used interchangeably. If not, how do they differ?

share|improve this question

I am not really qualified to comment on the semantic nuances because I am not really sure! I do know that 'bêtise' is used in certain region French to signify a type of sweet or candy. J'adore les bêtises de Cambrai is an example of this. –  Patrick Sebastien Jul 14 '13 at 13:49
For cohesion, please have question titles and bodies in the same language. I think people usually understand answers should be in the same language as the question, but if they don't, don't be afraid to ask them to switch language. We're here to help you, not hinder your learning process. –  Kareen Jul 14 '13 at 14:06
They are not always interchangeable, but the nuance is subtle. –  Gilles Jul 14 '13 at 14:11

Thank you for your help. I'll use just one language in the future. Hopefully, only French when I feel more confident in my abilities to speak it. –  indoxica Jul 14 '13 at 14:12
@indoxica When you feel comfortable asking questions in French, certainly give it a go! This is part of the learning process, and as the help page for asking on-topic questions suggests: "If you are learning French, we suggest that you learn by doing and ask in French..". I ask questions in French and I know that I make certain errors, but a moderator always comes by sooner or later and edits my post for grammar, spelling, and clarity - and this is great! Not only does this make it easier for the question to be answered, you also can see the edit and improve your writing skills! –  Patrick Sebastien Jul 14 '13 at 15:20

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

As long as I know the both can be used interchangeably.

The main difference is the meaning they could take which is very subtle and difficult to explain.

Case where "bêtise" is used

*A childlike misconduct

• A childlike misconduct eg: Throwing tomato sauce on the floor
  • A non-crucial error oftenly eg: Use the wrong word in a sentence

"bêtise" is also a candy but... well nobody cares

Case where "sottise" is used

• A stupid sentence eg: What is the color of the white horse?

After reflexion I would say that sottise is harder than bêtise which is more smooth.

"Tu dis des sottises" > "Tu dis des bêtises"

share|improve this answer

As Gilles commented above, they are not always interchangeable. Also I find your answer slightly hard to follow. What do you mean by sense? (J'ai l'impression que vous voulez dire 'meaning' en anglais. Je pense que le mot 'sense', comme vous l'avez dit, est un gallicisme.) –  Patrick Sebastien Jul 14 '13 at 15:25
Yes I was probably wrong "meaning" is more correct –  torr Jul 14 '13 at 16:07

The main difference is the adjective used to constitute the noun meaning that :

• Bête => Bêtise
  • Sot => Sottise

You also have the following synonyms :

• Idiot => Idiotie
  • Con => Connerie
  • Stupid => Stupidité (but this one rather refers to the concept of being idiot than the act itself)

So if you want differences betwwen "bêtise" and "sottise" (and "idiotie" & "connerie" too), you will have to look for nuances between the adjectives behind the names.

La principale différence se situe au niveau des adjectifs utilisés pour former le nom :

• Bête => Bêtise
  • Sot => Sottise

On peut également citer les synonymes suivants :

• Idiot => Idiotie
  • Con => Connerie
  • Stupid => Stupidité (mais ce mot désigne plus le concept d'être idiot que l'acte en lui-même)

Pour trouver les différences de sens entre "bêtise" et "sottise" (mais aussi "idiotie" et "connerie"), il faut donc regarder du côté des nuances de sens entre les adjectifs derrière les noms.

share|improve this answer
So remains the difficult task of finding a way to explain the difference between sot and bête :-) –  Stéphane Gimenez Jul 14 '13 at 15:57

To add more information, sottiste comes from the noun "sot" wich comes from soptus in latin which means endormi (assleep). Bêtise comes from the latin word bestia which means bête in French (beast in English). –  Swiss12000 Jul 15 '13 at 11:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.