French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm working in web development and want to tell my users to go look for an item in the sidebar.

Google translate returns me "Barre latérale" but, as a French speaker, that doesn't feel right to me.

Just like a header is "une entête", is there a proper way to say "a sidebar" in French?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Word reference has pulled up these results:

  • encadré (for a webpage)

This word can also be seen in popular use here:

share|improve this answer
Still doesnt feel right, but the reference seems good... So I guess it is "Encadré" – Fredy31 Jul 25 '13 at 20:45
This link may help you narrow down what feels right. – Patrick Sebastien Jul 25 '13 at 20:52
I wouldn’t use “encadré” if the sidebar is not actually boxed. – Édouard Jul 25 '13 at 21:52
I saw 'volet' as a possibility. Thoughts on this? – Patrick Sebastien Jul 26 '13 at 14:29

I'd say un menu latéral, if looks somewhat like a menu. But it seems that barre latérale, which sounds maybe more like a toolbar, is nevertheless the most common name for a sidebar.

share|improve this answer
As a developer I would understand "menu latéral" while I would not feel sure of my understanding of "encadré". To me it is best to keep it untranslated though ("il faut qu'il y ait un lien vers la home page dans la sidebar"): even though this is actually bad French, this is not ambiguous on a technical standpoint. – Shlublu Jul 25 '13 at 21:33

If for some reason I wanted to avoid barre latérale or plain sidebar, I would probably use “la barre de gauche/droite”, though it loses some generality. If it needs to stay generic, why not “le bloc latéral”?

Or if you want to stay in the tone of entête, you can dig in publishing idiom and say les marges.

Or you could also specify the function of the bar, as in “les flux latéraux” or “le menu latéral”,

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.