Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have seen this phrase written with and without a hyphen. Why is that? In which instances is which one right? What verb does "viens" come from anyway?

share|improve this question

I wonder: Is not this question, and others like it, actually off-topic? For what does this user really ask? What viens means. Don't we have dictionaries for this kind of questions? Type viens into any type of search box, and you will instantly know what it means, and where it ultimately comes from. So let's not turn this site into a dictionary! –  indoxica Jul 27 '13 at 11:07

@indoxica: my LAROUSSE actually doesn't have "viens" or "viens-là" in it. I do check before asking so don't pre-judge. –  verve Jul 27 '13 at 16:42

Of course it doesn't. Because viens is and inflected form of the verb venir. French is an inflected language, you know. And "words" like viens are therefore not proper words; venir is. Had you followed my advice and typed viens into any search box, you would have seen how right I was. –  indoxica Jul 28 '13 at 7:18

@verve You can use http://fr.wiktionary.org/ to look up inflected forms. It will always give you the links to the 'dictionary' form. They also provide excellent conjugation tables, e.g. venir‌​. –  stillenat Jul 31 '13 at 9:27

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Viens is the 2nd person singular imperative present of the verb venir: to come.

I would not put a hyphen in “Viens là”, I can't see any reason to do so. Viens et are two well separated words, as in “Come here”.

share|improve this answer

2nd person singular imperative? Confusing. The hyphen is interesting! I kept seeing it online and I was like "why are people typing it like that" ? –  verve Jul 27 '13 at 16:48

See nothing confusing in this answer. –  Did Jul 28 '13 at 8:56

If you only write "Viens là", then you do not use a hyphen. –  Swiss12000 Aug 4 '13 at 23:19

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.