Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm trying to figure out whether the people in the movie La Répétition are speaking Canadian or France's French, specifically in the opening scene. The movie has a Canadian and a French actress.

share|improve this question
The people are speaking French from France in this video. –  Laurent G. Aug 12 '13 at 4:15

Thanks. :-) How can you tell? Is it sentence structure? –  verve Aug 12 '13 at 10:12

@verve It's the pronunciation that will give away Canadian French right away. First of all, they pronounce nasal sounds differently in Canada. –  stillenat Aug 12 '13 at 10:18
add comment

3 Answers

It is French from France.

Here are some indications that I picked up on:

• 0:16 "Je suis là, Louise"
    • This sentence, which means "I am here, Louise" is more often used in France than it is in Canada. In the Acadian variety of French you are more likely to hear "Je suis ici" which will sound like 'ih-SIT'. It is also not uncommon to hear "Je suis ici" (with the standard pronunciation) in Quebec.
  • Multiple points: Pronunciation of 'tu'. In France you hear a clear 'tu'. In Quebec, one would hear a slight variation which leads to a very slight 'tzu' or 'tchu' sound. This is very difficult to explain using text though. It is very, very subtle.
  • Nasal sounds and enunciation. Parisian French tends to be spoken more fluidly with the mouth slightly more closed than Quebec French. Quebec French is less fluid, has more emphasized consonant sounds, and a difference in nasal tone partly due to this difference in enunciation.
share|improve this answer
"More anglicisms are used in Quebec French" is absolutely false. And if you don't believe me, it's even stated in the wiki you linked: In contrast, Quebecers show a stronger aversion to the use of anglicisms in formal contexts than do European francophones, largely because of what the influence of English on their language is held to reveal about the historically superior position of anglophones in Canadian society. –  Phil Aug 12 '13 at 17:11

And even on the streets you'll ear less english words than in Europe. "Fin de semaine" rather than "Weekend", "magasinage" rather than "shopping", etc. –  Phil Aug 12 '13 at 17:13

@Phil You are absolutely right. Such 'mail' vs 'courriel'. I must have been thinking of the Shiac variety when I wrote that. I will edit. –  Patrick Sebastien Aug 12 '13 at 18:02

What about less formal contexts? (by Zviane — can’t find the post, this is directly image). –  Édouard Aug 12 '13 at 22:02

When French is taught in highschool in Canada which pronunciation do they teach? Canadian or France? –  verve Aug 13 '13 at 1:34
show 7 more comments

Doesn't sound Canadian to me, they're from France I believe.

add comment

That's totally french from France, no doubt. It's all about the pronunciation, which is well detailed in another response. Beside that, Emmanuel Béart (the actress on the bike with a red pullover) is from France, as the whole film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253612/).

You may consider making your answer more complete. Explain why it is from France. –  Patrick Sebastien Aug 12 '13 at 18:43
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.