Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I saw a French subtitle translate it as "on craint" but when I look in the dictionary I don't see any meanings in this context although the dictionary could be behind in updating...is that correct? Any other way of saying it? I'm interested in how the Parisians and Montrealers (that a word?) say it. Oh, the context of "we suck" is like we are bad etc. not sucking on a straw.

share|improve this question

I'm a real beginner...does anyone mind translating the French comments? –  verve Aug 12 '13 at 14:04

4 Answers 4

It’s slang and it is correct. Le Petit Robert 1 (1993) has the following entry:

II V. intr. FAM. Être insuffisant, ne pas être à la hauteur (opposé à assurer).

Note that “ça craint” also is used to say “that sucks” (i.e. that situation in unpleasant), a usage which is not reported by my dictionary, but is in the 1990 edition (I’ll check the 1993 one once I get my hands on it once again).

5° Fam. Ça craint. c’est laid, désagréable.

share|improve this answer

Wow, what a disappointment my Larousse dictionary is! –  verve Aug 11 '13 at 23:45

By the way, the verb is « craindre », and online version of Larousse show this meaning : larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/craindre/… (flagged « Populaire », so it is gentle slang) –  Thibault Aug 13 '13 at 10:18

Very common multi-purpose expression to say that:

On est nuls.

You can also say:

On est [trop] mauvais. (We are [so] bad)

On est des mauvais. (We are bad, and it's in our nature)

On est minables.

On est des branques (branquignols). (slang)

On est des amateurs/touristes/bras cassés. (we barely have any skill to do that)

Since "we suck" is already quite vulgar, you can do the same in French.

On est des merdes/bouses.

If "we suck" at a game, you can say:

On joue comme des pieds/amateurs/branques/touristes..

"On craint." may be correct but very rarely used. To me, it sounds old (80s/90s).

Which dialect would these apply to? –  verve Aug 12 '13 at 2:07

I am from Paris. I don't know about Montreal. –  oli Aug 12 '13 at 2:28

I'm not a Montrealer, but I do live in Quebec (near Ottawa) and around these parts we use:

On est [trop/vraiment] poches.

or even:

On suce.

This last one is obviously a direct translation of the English and may not be used everywhere in Quebec. I don't use it myself, so I'm not entirely sure if it can be used in every context, but I have heard it from younger persons.

"Poche" can be used in most contexts and can replace that meaning of "suck" in most situations, e.g.:

Mon cours est poche (My class sucks.)

C'est vraiment poche d'avoir manqué ça! (It really sucks to have missed it!)

T'es poche en conduite. (You suck at driving.)

Intéressant de voir que les expressions canadiennes sont incompréhensibles en France (bien que moche et poche soient proches), et qu'il doit en être de même dans d'autres espaces francophones. –  cl-r Aug 12 '13 at 12:14

On craint is a good translation but you can also heard:

Nous sommes nazes.

So, "on craint" is used by people now in Paris? –  verve Aug 12 '13 at 10:09

People can say it but Nous sommes nazes or On est nazes are more popular expressions. –  Zistoloen Aug 12 '13 at 10:39

@verve on craint (conjugaison normale de craindre) est utilisée dans l'acception du mot craindre (linternaute.com/dictionnaire/fr/definition/craindre). ça craint est une expression argotique que l'on emploie surtout dans une situation lorsqu'il y a danger, risque pour sa renommée ; elle n'est pas réellement traduisible par we suck –  cl-r Aug 12 '13 at 12:22

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.