Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I see that du is used with sport. However for a specific game, I am confused which is the correct phrase

jouer au football (en jouant au football)

or

jouer du football (en jouant du football)

I see a related question with regard to piano/music. « Jouer au piano » ou « jouer du piano » ? If someone can explain in simple English it will be of great help.

share|improve this question
I have a vague memory that it's "jouer au football" (but "faire du football"), but I can't tell you whether (or why) it's correct. Helpful! –  abby hairboat Aug 21 '13 at 19:01

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

It's the verb that drives the preposition. The verb jouer has many possible meanings; depending on the meaning its complement(s) may start with this or that preposition or none.

For a sport or a game, the preposition is à.

Il joue au football.
Il joue aux échecs.

For a musical instrument, the preposition is de.

Il joue du piano.

The basic idea of the distinction is that jouer à is for participating in an activity, while jouer de is for using a physical implement. For a physical implement that represents a game by metonymy, it's still jouer à: “jouer aux dés”, “jouer aux boules”. Jouer de is not in very common use outside musical instruments.

share|improve this answer

Pretty certain it's “jouer au football“.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.