Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I just read the following sentence

Il rentre bient­ot.

Google translate says it means “He returned soon”. But I do not understand how is the conjugation done. I saw the rules as given here http://la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/du/verbe/rentrer.php, but I can't figure it out.

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Google Translate is (as often!) wrong. The sentence means:

He comes back soon. / He returns soon.

The verb rentrer is conjugated at the indicatif présent.

share|improve this answer
The French verb is indeed in the present, but in this case, I think Google translate is even more wrong than you make it out to be. IMO, the better translation would be in a different construction: "He'll be coming home soon." –  Circeus Aug 22 '13 at 14:17
add comment

In French as in English, the present tense may have the meaning of a near future.

• The proximity depends on the context.

"Il rentre bientôt" suggests, a priori, minutes or hours.

"Je vais au restaurant ce soir" could be said in the morning, and of course I am not already going there.

But : "L'armistice est signé, les soldats rentrent bientôt" suggests some weeks.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.