French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

wooden utensils

In English I suppose I would call it a "scoop", although that's ambiguous. I think I've heard it called a "cuillere à grosselle" (not sure of the spelling), but googling for that turns up nothing. Is there a dedicated word for one of these objects?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Selon ce qu'on ramasse avec, ça s'appelle pelle à farine, pelle à sucre, pelle à bonbon, pelle à gros sel, pelle à grain...

Donc, pas cuillère contrairement à l'anglais spoon. Et pas pelle tout court, qui fait penser à l'outil pour creuser des trous dans la terre.

share|improve this answer
Dans certains cas, ça peut être une cuillère, par exemple ice cream scoop = cuillère à glace. – Gilles Sep 6 '13 at 9:18
Pelle à gros sel rend en effet plus de résultats Google que cuillère. Ou pelle à thé dans mon cas. – Jack M Sep 6 '13 at 11:08
@Gilles - Les cuillères à glace n'ont pas cette forme. – mouviciel Sep 6 '13 at 16:00
@mouviciel Oui, pardon, je voulais dire que le mot scoop est traduit par cuillère dans certains contextes mais je n'ai pas été clair. – Gilles Sep 6 '13 at 16:22

Okay, I found it minutes after posting the question. Turns out the corect spelling was "cuillère à gros sel" ("rock salt spoon"). The scant results in google for that query indicate that that's probably not a super common name, though.

Not sure if I should leave this question up or not - other readers might find it interesting.

share|improve this answer
I do. Please keep it! – Timere Oct 6 '13 at 11:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.