Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Depuis combien de temps travailles-tu pour cette agence de voyages?

If I want to replace cette agence de voyages by a pronoun, which one do I want?

Would it be this?

J'y travaille depuis dix ans.

Seems right and wrong but I can't think of a better one.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 9 down vote accepted

If you’re actually one of their employee (not a freelancer who often works for them), you could say either “J’y travaille depuis dix ans“ (which who be short for “Je travaille dans cette agence de voyage depuis dix ans”) or “Je travaille pour eux depuis dix ans“ (i.e. “Je travaille pour mes employeurs depuis dix ans“).

If you’re actually a freelancer who works for them, but not one of their employee, I would use “Je travaille pour eux depuis dix ans“ only.

share|improve this answer

Ah, perfect. And what if the context were a little different, and eux would be inappropriate-- which pronoun would be used to refer to a singular non-person entity, something like "pour {?}"? –  Aerovistae Sep 13 '13 at 0:00
@Aerovistae, in Edouard's example "pour eux" replaces "pour cette agence de voyage", which is a singular non-person entity, and it is fine. It could also replace "pour le gouvernement" or "pour la mafia", or anything. –  oli Sep 13 '13 at 1:23

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.