Sign up ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the noun corresponding to the verb aller?

Should we say: “une allure”, or what?

share|improve this question
What is it in english? – mouviciel Oct 9 '13 at 10:53

4 Answers 4

up vote 11 down vote accepted

There are various substantives.

allée : narrow passage, usually pedestrian, between two walls or rows of trees ; it used to mean also "the fact of aller", but survives only in "les allées et venues" (= comings and goings)

aller : usually a ticket (bus, train, plane) ; aller simple (a single), aller et retour (a return) ; it used to be "the fact of aller", but survives only in "le pis-aller" (= stopgap)

allure :

a) = speed or pace ; "la voiture roulait à vive allure" = the car was running fast

b) = walk, gait ; "son allure était hésitante" = his walk was hesitant/not sure

c) = appearance ; "il avait mauvaise allure" = He had a bad appearance or his look was not engaging.

d) = ways ; "il choque par sa liberté d'allure" = his unconventional behaviour is shocking ou He shocks by his liberty of ways.

share|improve this answer

I'd say it's simply un aller, like in un aller-retour or un aller simple.

share|improve this answer

Dans le sens go/no go à propos de la décision ou non de démarrer un projet, on peut dire feu vert: J'ai obtenu le feu vert de ma hiérarchie pour réaliser cette action.

share|improve this answer

You could also use "une promenade", depending on what you want to express.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.