Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am writing my CV in French (because I am in Marseille).

I want to include my knowledge of "version control systems" but is the equivalent term in French "contrôle de version" correct?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 6 down vote accepted

In french, instead of using "contrôle de version", I would use "Gestion de version". So for a "version control system" I would use "système de gestion de versions" or even "logiciel de gestion de versions".

"Gestion de version" seems to be the expression widely use, as a Google search for "gestion de version" and "contrôle de versions" both returns the same results which points to the expression "gestion de version".

And for the complete expressions "logiciel de gestion de versions" seems the be the most common one. "logiciel de gestion de versions" also seems to be the expression that Wikipedia uses (even though that's maybe not the most official source). I'm still looking for an official source but haven't found anything yet.

share|improve this answer

In computer and software industry we use "gestion de configuration" even if I admit that "gestion de version" is better. It appears in a great lot of French resumes, though.

share|improve this answer
Gestion de configuration?! Je n'ai jamais entendu ce terme. Je ne vois pas trop le lien entre configuration et version en parlant d'un fichier de code. –  Hugo Dozois Nov 7 '13 at 17:35

@HugoDozois Le terme « gestion de configuration » traduit l'expression anglaise « configuration management ». C'est un peu plus large — les systèmes de contrôle de version sont un moyen d'assurer la gestion de configuration. –  Gilles Nov 7 '13 at 19:34

Je sais bien que le terme "configuration" n'est pas approprié mais il est pourtant couramment utilisé. –  Plinn Nov 8 '13 at 15:59

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.