Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am somewhat confused in regards to the verbs cacher and masquer. Both of them mean to hide in English, but I believe it depends on what context they are used in.

Looking through usages of the word, I see mostly masquer being used. Examples include:

• Masquer les éléments sélectionnés (Windows Explorer)
  • Réseau masqué (Windows)
  • Masquer les paramètres avancés... (Google Chrome)
  • Masquer la section (Facebook)

However when I type hide into Google Translate and Bing Translator, cacher is the first word that comes up. To me, it seems that masquer is "to mask, to hide visually", whereas cacher means "to conceal, to store away".

What are the differences in meaning? Examples to provide context would be highly appreciated.

share|improve this question

I'd say the intent? –  Knu Nov 15 '13 at 3:12
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Although cacher can usually be used in constructions similar to masquer, the reverse is not quite true, because masquer has an additional semantic or metaphoric implication of hiding by covering up with or behind something else, whereas cacher also encompass the idea of hiding somewhere, which masquer cannot be used for.

In the informatics domain, both it and hide carry a meaning that they never (nor did cacher) did previously: "make invisible". I don't believe there is any strong semantic reason for one to be chosen over the other, it's one of those usages that just... happen, so to say.

share|improve this answer
Well, “cacher” often has the sense that you don’t want what your « cacher » to be found. Moreover, there is a risk of confusion with “cache” as in fast duplicate memory. –  Édouard Nov 15 '13 at 10:40
add comment

Pratiquement aujourd'hui :

« Cacher » met l'accent sur le résultat qui est de garder un secret son synonyme littéraire est « dissimuler ».

Alors que « masquer » est plus neutre/professionnel, car met l'accent sur l'action : poser un masque. La raison n'importe pas.

Un réseau masqué est une façon neutre de dire qu'un masque a été posé. Dans le but de cacher/dissimuler le réseau !

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.