Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, you can happily pile on adjectives before a noun (e.g. the big fat ugly green alien), in French, not so much. On top of that, in French some adjectives go before and others afterwards (I humbly admit to never having taken the time to work out why, mostly intuited).

This is something where literal translation just won't cut it, and periphrase work-arounds can just clutter up your text.

What rules of thumb do professional translators use in these cases? Just jettison some adjectives?

(ported from EN-FR proposal)

share|improve this question
Do you mean "paraphrase"? Although "periphrase" ties in nicely with your "work-arounds". –  Abby T. Miller Aug 31 '11 at 13:39
I'm confident you can pile quite a lot of adjectives too, but with certain typographic rules, such as the use of commas and et. Une magnifique grande maison rouge, spacieuse et bien ensoleillée. If you care to throw English examples at us, I'm sure we'll make a decent job of translating them to French no matter how long. –  Joubarc Aug 31 '11 at 13:47
As for position of adjectives: french.stackexchange.com/questions/319/… –  Stéphane Gimenez Aug 31 '11 at 13:48
@Benjol one more thing... in whatever order you put the adjectives, don't forget the noun. –  Joubarc Aug 31 '11 at 14:04
@Stephane, having looked at the answers to that question, I'm thinking that intuition was easier and possibly more reliable :) –  Benjol Aug 31 '11 at 14:10
show 10 more comments

2 Answers

I think a reasonable paraphrase would be "[noun] who/which was [adjective,adjective,...]"

For example:

L'alien qui était grand, gros, moche, et vert...

Or even more compactly:

Le grand alien gros moche vert...

Either way, I'd put all or all but one of the adjectives after the noun (maybe you want to put one adjective which is the primary one - here, "big" - before the noun, but you could put them all after it).

However, it looks like native French speakers are also fine with doing things in a more "English" way and putting most of the adjectives before the noun (although leaving one after the noun which you'd never do in English), eg.:

Le grand, gros et moche extraterrestre vert...

share|improve this answer
Le grand, gros et moche extraterrestre vert works for me. –  Joubarc Aug 31 '11 at 13:53

J'avais l'affreux, gros et gras extraterrestre vert (subtilement différent de l'affreux, gros et gras, extraterrestre vert). –  Un francophone Aug 31 '11 at 13:55

@Joubarc But does it sound better than putting the adjectives after the noun? Somehow putting the adjectives after seems like more natural French to me. –  Jez Aug 31 '11 at 14:15
It's complicated. –  Joubarc Aug 31 '11 at 14:17
add comment

You can also pile adjectives in french, before and after the noun.

I don't think there's any formal rule. This is mostly a question of style and usage (the section "Épithète liée" of this article explains this an interesting way). In certain specific cases, the position of the adjective changes the meaning (the article above includes a few words about that as well) but this is also a question of usage.

So we would say:

Le gros alien vert

Le gros alien vert et moche

Le gros, grand et affreux alien vert et malpoli

L'alien vert, grand, affreux, et malpoli

But we wouldn't say (but in poetry, maybe):

Le gros, grand, affreux, malpoli et vert alien

Le bleu alien moche

Even if all of the sentences above are actually not incorrect.
And, specific case:

Un alien sale (an alien that is dirty)

doesn't mean:

Un sale alien (a bloody alien, not to use an f-word)

Anyhow,

Le gros vert Alien
cloche
courait dans la plaine
moche.
La lune était pleine,
proche ;
pour lui quelle aubaine :
roches !
(Mais il se cassa tout de même la figure).

share|improve this answer
Le poème mérite un +1 à lui tout seul. –  Joubarc Aug 31 '11 at 16:36

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.