Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've always known that please is s'il vous plaît in French (s'il te plaît with tu.) Recently I've come across the word veuillez which also translates to please.

What is the correct usage of each word? Some examples in the wild include:

• Veuillez aller à l'arriere d'autobus. (Please move to the back of the bus.)
  • Veuillez renseigner ce champ. (Please fill in this field.)
  • Est-ce que tu peux repondre s'il te plaît ? (Can you respond please?)

Would it be incorrect to write S'il vous plaît, allez à l’arrière d'autobus. ?

From these and other examples I've seen, I gather that veuillez should be used when telling someone to do something and s'il vous plaît when asking someone a question. Is this conclusion correct? Are there other differences that I should know about?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Veuillez” is the second person plural conjugation1 of “vouloir” in the impératif présent. “Allez à l’arrière du bus” in french is a direct order; “Veuillez aller à l’arrière du bus” (litt. “Want to go to the back of the bus”) is softer. By consequence, it is indeed only used when you ask someone to do something. In English, you should indeed translate it by “please”.

However, it is perfectly compatible with “s’il vous plaît”:

Veuillez aller à l’arrière de l’autobus, s’il vous plaît.
Veuillez s’il vous plaît aller à l’arrière de l’autobus.

are both perfectly correct and should be considered more appropriate than the no-s’il-vous-plaît counterpart.

S’il vous plaît, allez à l’arrière de l’autobus.

is correct but more of a plea. (Please go to the back of the bus ?!)

Allez à l’arrière du bus, s’il vous plaît.

is much stronger than “veuillez”, more akin to what a teacher would say its student than to what you would say to a stranger.

1. Actually, the impératif présent of vouloir only has that form.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.