Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English, software will commonly indicate its status using the present continuous tense:

• "Downloading..."
  • "Restarting..."
  • "Setting up your preferences..."

Is there a common equivalency for such messages in French? Or do they more commonly follow conventions on a case-by-case basis?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

I would use "en cours" :

• Téléchargement en cours
  • Redémarrage en cours
  • Réglage de vos préférences en cours

Which means literally "… in progress".

share|improve this answer

I think en cours was exactly what I was looking for. I kept gravitating to En train de ... but I knew that sounded impossibly silly. –  Pauly Glott Dec 3 '13 at 21:32

I think "Enregistrement des préférences en cours", could be a mistake. First, "Setting up" means "Restore" not "Save". Secondly, it is valuable to customize the message for the user and I will translate "your" by "vos". I would suggest : "Chargement de vos préférences en cours" –  manu2ni Dec 4 '13 at 10:00

Oops, my bad. I'll change that –  Oltarus Dec 4 '13 at 10:45

To set up means something akin to “mettre en place” rather than “restaurer“. With your sentences, I would use “Réglages de vos préférences” (well, actually, I would use “des préférences”). –  Édouard Dec 4 '13 at 10:59

If anyone has any other suggestion, feel free to edit my answer! –  Oltarus Dec 4 '13 at 13:05
add comment

It seems that sometimes the corresponding noun is used:

• Téléchargement...
  • Redémarrage...
  • Enregistrement...
share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.