Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

According to the dictionary, there is the following idiom in French: "d'accord, Hector!" which means something like "OK, let's assume". I have some questions about it:

1. Regarding etymology, what Hector gives us this idiom? Or what's its origin?
  2. Is it really used widely in modern French?
  3. Any good examples of usage?
share|improve this question
Isn't it just jocular rhyming slang? I seem to recall hearing "d'accord, victor" in the same use... –  Circeus Dec 21 '13 at 17:36

@Circeus Exactly, like Fonce Alphonse.! *Allons-y Alonso (I'm a Doctor Who fan) –  Laure Dec 21 '13 at 17:51

They're not variations as such, they're popular phrases built on the same patern, rhyming slang on a name. I'm sure there's never been real characters behind the names. They're not interchangeable and are not used in the same circumstances. –  Laure Dec 21 '13 at 19:26

Well as I just starded to learn french I didn't noticed that there is a rhyme in the phrase actually... It was not obvious to me at the first glance... it takes some practice to align spelling with pronunciation... :) –  Mikhail Dec 23 '13 at 7:21

Je suis tombé par terre… –  Stéphane Gimenez Dec 23 '13 at 21:08

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

This kind of rhyming slang on a name is rather popular but I don't really know to what extent. The name is chosen for its rhyming capacity with the action described in the first part of the sentence. And of course each one is said on a particular occasion.

• D'accord Hector ! You say that to signify you approve what someone has just suggested to do. The English equivalent would be okey-dokey (exact equivalent as far as rhyming slang is concerned except in English it doesn't rhyme with a name).

• Fonce Alphonse ! To encourage someone to go ahead with whatever they want to do.

• Ça roule Raoul ! To signify you're going to do whatever's been discussed.

• Tu parles, Charles ! You say it when you don't really believe what you've been told.

• À la tienne, Étienne ! when you toast someone.

• À l'aise, Blaise ! to signify you can do something easily.

share|improve this answer

Ne pas oublier le poétique "Dans l'cul, Lulu !" ... –  jlliagre Dec 28 '13 at 18:40

These expressions look odd abd this oddity is used to achieve funny effects. There is maybe some occurences in “Zazie dans le métro.” Occasionally some of them enjoy a temporary popularity in some friend circle. I also used Aboule, Raoul!, Cool, Raoul!, Peinard, Bernard!, Zen, Ben!, Tranquillou, Billou!. Do not mistake with fakes Tranquille le chat or En voiture Simone!. –  user40989 Dec 30 '13 at 15:48

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.