Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

This thing has been bothering me for some time and I hope to express myself clearly.

Use of s' verbs such as passer or se passer is sometimes tricky and the sense, if I understand correctly, is “to do something to something/someone”, which might very well be yourself. E.g. Je m'appelle Abhi means I call myself Abhi. Now in the third person, would you use s' form of a verb or the verb without s' (and use of est) etc.?

To give a simple example (here it's easy since I know but in normal conversation it seems difficult): Il s'appelle François and Il est appellé François.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Abhimanyu Arora, Ardalan Shahgholi, M42, Un francophone, Stéphane Gimenez Jan 11 at 14:35

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Sorry I think this has already been asked here french.stackexchange.com/questions/7422/…. But in case you have further insights explained in a simple manner, I would appreciate it. –  Abhimanyu Arora Jan 9 at 23:14

I don't think this is the same question — both are about passive vs pronominal forms, but in different kinds of sentences. I'm not sure if there's a general explanation that can cover all cases. –  Gilles Jan 10 at 11:04

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Il s'appelle françois is the most used form, and is perfectly correct. This kind of verb is called a “verbe pronominal” because it is always used with a pronoun referring to the subject.

Il est appelé François is also correct, but it's not a common way to speak. The passive voice makes it more suitable for classical literature or poetry than for everyday conversation. It could also mean that is real name is not François, but some people call him François anyway.

share|improve this answer

+1 for the last bit - il est appelé François sounds to me like his name is Jacques, but most people call him François –  Abby T. Miller Jan 11 at 17:11

My question was a bit more general, but thanks for clarifying anyway :-) –  Abhimanyu Arora Jan 11 at 19:00

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.