Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

Why do you have to include de before nombreux? Is it because the adjective requires a preposition? What is the grammatical reason for putting de before nombreux?

Pour de nombreux Américains, la guerre contre la pauvreté déclarée il y a cinquante ans par le président démocrate Lyndon B. Johnson est un échec.

share|improve this question

I know it's confusing, but since pour is the preposition, de cannot also be a preposition. Here it's an article. –  Stéphane Gimenez Jan 15 at 11:58

I think your question is more about the rule than the historical reasons for the appearance of this article. So I think it's a duplicate of the other question. If it was about historical reasons please rephrase your question and it will be reopen. –  Stéphane Gimenez Jan 15 at 12:03
add comment

marked as duplicate by Un francophone, Stéphane Gimenez Jan 15 at 12:01

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

2 Answers

"de" is not in that sentence a preposition but an article required for "Américains" like one would be in:

• "Pour les Américains, ..."
  • "Pour des Américains, ..."

Note that in the similar

• "Pour nombre d'Américains, ..."

"d" is not an article but an elided preposition "de":

• "For a large number of Americans"
share|improve this answer

This is my first post, and I am blown away by how fast I have received an answer. Thank you jlliagre. I'm slightly confused by the articles in your example... using d'Américains and des Américains. –  Kyle Jan 15 at 1:10

Thanks. I'm sure you'll get more "professional" answers later. Anyway, in the last example "d'" stands for "de" (elision) and I guess is that time a preposition. –  jlliagre Jan 15 at 1:25

@Kyle: In d' the apostrophe replaces the e that has to be dropped in front of the vowel. Same phenomenon when we say l'enfant (but les enfants) ... –  Laure Jan 15 at 6:24

@Kyle "des Americains" "des" is equivalent of "some" but with "nombre d'Américain" "d'" is equivalent of "of" (a large number of american people) –  goto Jan 15 at 9:22

The second statement was quite confusing, you say “similar” but in “Pour nombre d'Américains”, de is a preposition; only applicability of the elision rule is “similar”. I tried to make it clearer. –  Stéphane Gimenez Jan 15 at 12:06
add comment

Note that the article used is different depending on whether the adjective precedes the noun or follows it:

(1) De nombreux Américains considèrent que ...

(2) Des Américains influents considèrent que ...

share|improve this answer
This doesn't really answer the question that is "why is this preposition needed". –  Kareen Jan 15 at 7:49
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.