Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A full-stack engineer is an I.T. engineer that is knowledgeable in all fields concerning the conception, development and deployment of software projects and especially web projects (As opposed to a front-end engineer, back-end engineer or systems engineer). A good definition can be found here

I have been trying to translate this word into french, but I can't find the right translation for the word stack, as in application stack.

(This might be a little too technical, I have never been on this SE website before, so apologies in advance if it is!)

share|improve this question
The usual french term for stack in computer science is pile. This is the first time I encounter the term full-stack with that usage. A quick search on Google reveals that job offerings don't bother and use the Full-Stack term directly: Ingénieur Full-Stack, Développeur Full-Stack, Lead-Développeur Full-Stack. –  Alexandre Vaillancourt Jan 23 '14 at 20:51
That's what I've settled with for now. I'm guessing a direct translation that conveys the same meaning would be "ingénieur toutes couches", but there's no way I'm writing that in an official document :D –  Gaël Jan 23 '14 at 21:59
I agree that Ingénieur toutes couches is a bit... smelly. :P –  Alexandre Vaillancourt Jan 23 '14 at 22:03
multi-couches maybe ? Doesn't convey the meaning of all but I guess it won't be a matter here. As a side note, I'm afraid I can't do a thing about your smelly mind association ^^ –  Romain VALERI Jan 24 '14 at 10:50
IMHO Ingénieur Concepteur Développeur (ICD) just like Analyste-Programmeur, is not strong enough, as Full-Stack includes deployment, integration, database, UI and such. Just like multi-couches, as @RomainVALERI pointed out. –  Alexandre Vaillancourt Jan 25 '14 at 15:39

3 Answers 3

Note that the referenced Full Stack Developer definition simply describes a software developer mastering current & fashionable web technologies.
A developer is not necessarily an engineer, not necessarily an architect.
Therefore, I would simply translate as "développeur technologies web".
If the job requires it, use "ingénieur confirmé technologies web" or even "ingénieur technologies web très confirmé".

In any case, "Full Stack Developer" is just a buzzword. You can as well translate it as "développeur Full Stack", everybody will recognize the buzzword...

share|improve this answer

A couple of ideas:

  • ingénieur généraliste
  • ingénieur polyvalent
share|improve this answer
The only problem with this translation is that it implies that the engineer is knowledgeable in all engineering fields whereas a full-stack engineer is knowledgeable only in the IT field, not in physics or say, thermonuclear reactors! –  Gaël Jan 30 '14 at 15:18
But we could say "ingénieur informaticien polyvalent". Although it sounds kinda cheap it conveys the same meaning. –  Gaël Jan 30 '14 at 15:19

Ok, here are my suggestions. To be taken with a grain of salt :P

  • Super Ingénieur (in the province of Québec, we have Super-Infirmières)
  • Ingénieur Chuck-Norris (I've actually seen this in a job offering; more on the funny side, though.)
  • Ingénieur Fait-Tout
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.