Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Comment puis-je exprimer l'anglais « got it » en français ? Est-ce vraiment « je comprends » ?

Google Translate ne me donne pas une bonne explication, ni Internet.

English version

How can I say "got it" in french? It's really "je comprends"?

Google Translate doesn't give me a good explanation, nor the internet at all.

share|improve this question
add comment

5 Answers

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Je comprends” has the same meaning, but is in my opinion somewhat more formal than “got it”. If you want to keep the general tone, “Compris” might be a better translation.

share|improve this answer
add comment

You might hear "Pigé !" for "Got it !" in informal situations.

add comment

C'est compris keeps the familiar tone of got it. Likewise, it can be used both as an assertion and as an interrogative.

add comment

People in France will also say 'ok!', English has really permeated the country by now. But you can say 'compris!' as well, or 'd'accord' if you are agreeing on statement.

add comment

Got it! is incorrect in English and as said above means “j'ai compris”. Now you may want to keep the meaning and the incorrectness, for instance in a translation of a book. Then Pigé ! is excellent.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.