Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In my textbook, a girl seems to say goodbye by saying “On continue?”, to which her friend replies "Bien sûr!". What does this mean?

Dans mon livre de cours, un fille semble dire au revoir avec l’expression « On continue? » Que signifie cette formulation?

share|improve this question
I have never seen "On continue?" in this context; maybe you could add a bit more of the text so we have a better idea of the contex? –  Alexandre Vaillancourt Jan 30 at 17:00
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 2 down vote accepted

It seems unlikely that the girl from your textbook want to express goodbye by saying “On continue ?”. Literally, it means « Shall we continue? » although in a quite familiar way.

Il est peu probable la demoiselle en question veuille signifier au revoir par les mots « On continue ? » L’expression signifie littéralement « Shall we continue? » dans un registre plutôt familier.

share|improve this answer

I see. I wasn't sure it was a goodbye, but it was just at the end of the conversation, so I assumed there would be some sort of a goodbye. Reading your answer, though, I see how "On continue?" in the meaning "Shall we continue?" fits. Thanks. –  citizen Jan 30 at 19:24
add comment

It is possible to mean "goodbye" by saying "on continue?".

The English equivalent would be "to be continued?"

share|improve this answer
Definitely not true in Europe (France, Switzerland, Belgium), maybe in North America? –  Annoyed Jan 31 at 18:27

In this context, I would translate “To be continued?” by “On continue la prochaine fois ?”. And I wouldn’t consider it a proper goodbye. –  Édouard Feb 1 at 4:01

@Annoyed It is also not used in North America as a good bye. –  Bun Feb 3 at 0:44
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.