Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm having a hard time choosing between "à" and "de" before a verb. I've seen "Je serais heureux de continuer" and "Je serais heureux à continuer", and I don't know if they're both correct, one is incorrect, or they have different meanings.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

Basically "à" can be seen as the English equivalent for "to". At the same time "de" is used with certain verbs e.g. avoir besoin de (to need), envie de (to want)...actually more in the sense of "for" generally. When both à and de are used in a sentence, à comes before the first verb and "de" before the second one.

But try to see the different usage here: http://www.cnrtl.fr/definition/

Also these questions might be relevant

When would one use “à” before a verb?

“Jouer à” or “jouer de” for sports games?

When to use “de” before a verb in infinitive form?

I'll edit my answer as I find some examples.

share|improve this answer

So which one is correct Je serais heureux de continuer or Je serais heureux à continuer or both? –  razzak Nov 9 at 8:28

I am a french native speaker and it is "je serais heureux de continuer". If you don't believe me just do a Google search with "je serais heureux à continuer" and you'll find only your question.

"à" and "de" have no equivalent in English and you'll have to use some rules of thumb like this and that one.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.