Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was reading an article of a new wireless technology and came across this sentence:

nous n’en sommes pas encore à évoquer une quelconque date de lancement de la LTE Advanced dans l’hexagone.

I cannot work out what the "en" is for here. Could it be that it's part of some idiomatic expression?

share|improve this question
Yes it's an idiom. Here "En être à quelque chose" is elliptical for "en être arriver à". Not to be confused with "En être". –  Laure Feb 22 at 12:12

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

"En" can be either a pronoun (to replace a nominal group starting with de/du/de la/des) or a preposition (related to place/manner/matter/material). Here I actually have trouble seeing which one it is (although I'm French :-O).

Anyway, I think it's idiomatic : en arriver à (quelque chose), en être (quelque part). Also it's mostly (average ?) spoken language, I wouldn't expect that in text.

Litterally it stands for "arriver/être {au point où}/{au moment de}/{prêt à} ..."

In your context : "nous ne sommes pas encore prêts à évoquer ... "

share|improve this answer

Most of the time the " en " refers to the matter/situation/subject of discussion the news article is discussing about. In this situation I think it's about the

en = date de lancement de la LTE Advanced dans l’hexagone

But also it's a common expression assiociated to the alternative of saying

nous n'en parlons pas encore = nous n’en sommes pas encore à évoquer

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.