Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am confused with pronunciation of “Flamant”. I know this word is French but I am not sure about its pronunciation.

First I saw the word in Introduction to Continuum Mechanics.

share|improve this question

I'm sorry about the weird edit. The book you linked to says Flamont, but Wikipedia has Flamant, and I'm going to trust the latter source. –  Kareen Mar 17 at 20:12

I have to say I am quite befuddled as to how there could possibly be any confusion as to the pronunciation of either spellings... –  Circeus Mar 17 at 20:40

@Kareen Yes, your are right. I forgot to mention it. In errata file, the publisher has corrected this. I am sure, the correct spelling is Flamant. –  Shaqpad Mar 17 at 20:44

@Circeus Dear Circeus, I am not French. Could you help me find its correct pronunciation? –  Shaqpad Mar 17 at 20:45
Listen to it here. Spelling's different but pronunciation’s exactly the same. –  Laure Mar 18 at 18:42

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

It's a last name so the pronunciation might be irregular. However, it happens to be either an old way to write Flamand, i.e. "Flemish" or the homonymous and possibly related "Flamingo" so it is expected to be simply pronounced /flamɑ̃/

share|improve this answer

Do you mean that two last letters i.e. nt are silent? –  Shaqpad Mar 17 at 22:12
@Shaqpad The t is silent, but the n interacts with the a to make the nasalization /ɑ̃/ as opposed to the open /a/ or /ɑ/ if it weren't there. –  Kareen Mar 17 at 22:19

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.