Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is French for:

• “update” (as in “update status”),
  • “updating” (as in “updating status”),
  • “updated” (as in ”status is updated”).

I have some data from Google Translate but I know I can’t rely on it.

To clarify I’m only interested in the three words update, updating and updated.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Alexandre Vaillancourt, Ardalan Shahgholi, Alexis Pigeon, Zistoloen, Fractaliste Apr 8 at 22:18

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "We are not a text translation or proofreading service. If you're translating into French, be specific about the word or expression you want help with, and explain the meaning and provide context. If you're asking about the correctness of a sentence, tell us which specific word or construction you are unsure about." – Alexandre Vaillancourt, Ardalan Shahgholi, Alexis Pigeon, Zistoloen, Fractaliste
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Di you want to say “update your Facebook status”, ”apply the latest upgrade available to your software” or something else entirely? –  Édouard Apr 4 at 13:56
This is not really an answer but horrible as it may seem, in spoken French you can say updaté, faire un update etc. –  terdon Apr 4 at 17:48
An easy way I have of trying to find out stuff like this, is putting a popular web app/social networking site that uses the phrase you need in French... –  CesarDV Apr 4 at 22:52
add comment

4 Answers 4

You can also use "mise à jour", which is a more formal translation, but less frequently used.

Mettre à jour votre statut

Mise à jour de votre statut

Votre statut a été mis à jour.

share|improve this answer

I upvoted. But less frequently used than what? These are the most frequently used terms of any, in my experience. –  Drew Apr 4 at 22:36
Modifier, as goto said, will be used more often in non formal contexts. –  ploutch Apr 5 at 0:19
add comment

I imagine the context is a software with a button "Update" that changes itself in "Updating" when clicked, and then changes to "Updated" when the update process is finish.

In such a context, a correct translation would be:

update => "Mettre à jour" (beware of the accent on the a) "

updating => "En cours de mise à jour", or if you have a moving icon close to the message, you can only use "Mise à jour" ("en cours" meaning "in progress")

updated => "Mis à jour"

You can also use the verb "Modifier" which actually means "change" but may be correct, depending on your context.

update => "Modifier"

updating => "En cours de modification"

updated => "Modifié"

add comment

I am a web developper. In my company we always use

Modifier votre statut

Modification de votre statut

Votre statut a été modifié

add comment

You seem under the impression that word are translatable on a one by one basis, without taking the context into account. Both assumptions are false. You often have to take the context into account to chose the right translation of a word. And the idiomatic way to express something may need to modify the structure of the sentence so that it is not possible to find the translation of a given word; that's especially true in the case of verbal forms.

As a verb form update would have to be translated as a form of "mettre à jour", which one would depend on what form you think update is. As a noun, it would be "mise à jour".

Updating is a form of the verb to update, and a difficult one to translate without context because it has no direct equivalent. "En train de mettre à jour" or "mettant à jour".

Updated is easy, assuming it is the part participle, it is "mis à jour" (but pay attention that "mis" may have to be modified to agree in gender and number with what it refers to).

See the other answers for more contextual translations, those are assuming a context and if the assumed context is the right one, they are better than what I wrote above.

add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.