Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A friend of mine and I was discussing around the difference between “Vous êtes” and “Êtes-vous” – and I couldn't conclude nothing.

So, are “Vous êtes” and “Êtes-vous” the same thing? If not, what is the difference? Is “Êtes-vous” for questions? And, can I say the following?

Vous êtes beau/belle.

Êtes-vous beau/belle.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

In formal language, affirmations have subject – verb – object complements order and yes/no questions have verb – subject – object complements order. So,

• Vous êtes beau is an affirmation.
  • Êtes-vous beau ? is a yes/no question.

(If the subject is not already a pronoun, it comes first and a pronoun is added after the verb to form questions. E.g. Pierre est-il beau ?)

In casual language you'll find two more ways to ask a question:

• Est-ce que vous êtes beau ?

Here, subject–verb inversion is limited (internal) to the universal “Est-ce que” question introducer.

• Vous êtes beau ? …with the appropriate intonation.

In this case only the intonation (or the question mark in writing) allows one to understand it's a question.

share|improve this answer

The second form is missing a question mark so should be:

Êtes-vous beau/belle ?

i.e.

Are you handsome?

and cannot be but a question, the first one is just a statement (or a lazy/casual style question).

You are handsome[?]

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.