Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I don't know French, and just need to write this amount in French: 129,29 Euros

How can this value be represented with words?

share|improve this question
Answer here : cent vingt-neuf virgule vingt-neuf. Type whatever figure you need in the box and it will be translated into letters. That is how you say it, but if you write it as an amount on a cheque you replace "virgule" by "et" and you have to write euros and centimes (or cents, both are allowed). Cent vingt-neuf euros et vingt-neuf centimes. –  Laure Apr 21 at 6:31

@Laure Les deux sont admis, mais centime est recommandé en langage courant (par le JO, cette fois ;) ). culture.gouv.fr/culture/dglf/cogeter/2-12-97-euro.htm –  fkraiem Jul 8 at 13:15
add comment

2 Answers 2

The value 129,29 € may be pronounced/written “cent vingt-neuf virgule vingt-neuf euros”, however for a money amount (especially on a check) you usually split the monetary unit (euro) from its subdivision (cent, “centime” in French) in the phrasing:

cent vingt-neuf euros et vingt-neuf centimes

(“cents” instead of “centimes” will also be completely understood/accepted.)

You can use this service on lefigaro.fr to obtain the wording of any number.

share|improve this answer
I disagree with cents, I very rarely heard it. And it can also be ambiguous: 800,08 € gives huit cent euros et huit cents. With centimes it's easier to understand. –  A.L Apr 21 at 22:21

Sure, centimes is more correct strictly speaking, and cents is indeed rarer, but I saw it several times on checks (perhaps used as a shorthand) and it never annoyed anyone. Obviously for somewhat ambiguous cases it's even more useful to stick to centimes. –  Socce Apr 22 at 8:46

"cent" is the international naming. "centime" is the official naming in France. fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centime_%28euro%29 –  Xaruth Apr 22 at 9:51

I don't know about quebec and the bilingual culture, but i've never heard or read any french using cents instead of centime. I don't think it's a good advice to pronounce or write "virgule" for a money ammount –  goto Apr 22 at 10:35

If you write that amount for a Belgian recipient, you should use "cents" as "centimes" has disappeared with the Belgian franc. –  ogregoire Apr 24 at 15:25
add comment

When it is for cheque writings, "cents" is not required to be writed in letters.

You can write 129,29 € in the numeric part and

Cent vingt-neuf euros et 29 cents in the alpha part.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.