Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I know that “that is” comes from Latin “id est”, short “i.e.” and means “in other words”.

I would like to know whether there is a French equivalent for this phrase.

share|improve this question
C’est-à-dire –  Édouard Apr 28 at 11:53
Note that i.e. is also used in french as is, especially (but not limited) to refering scientific work (mathematical, for instance). –  mansuetus Apr 28 at 12:23

@mansuetus, Good point! –  Lucian Sava Apr 28 at 12:47

2 Answers 2

up vote 23 down vote accepted

I think the closest translation of “that is” would be “c’est-à-dire”, which litterally means “that is to say”. It can be shortened to “c-à-d” or “c.a.d.

Autrement dit” and “en d’autres termes” also both exactly mean “in other words”.

share|improve this answer

It’s exactly what I’m looking for, the more variants the better. Much obliged! –  Lucian Sava Apr 28 at 12:11
@LucianSava Note the the shortened version is not nearly as common as “i.e.” is in English, I think you should generally avoid it in formal writing. –  Relaxed Apr 28 at 18:05

@Annoyed, duly noted! –  Lucian Sava Apr 29 at 14:03

à savoir is the French equivalent of Latin's 'id est'

share|improve this answer
In some contexts à savoir might be a good equivalent. But would you care to elaborate a little more? –  Stéphane Gimenez Apr 30 at 17:54
"the" French equivalent? No. –  Did May 2 at 6:33
I think one can une à savoir and c'est-à-dire quite interchangeably, although the latter is more common. –  okiharaherbst May 3 at 10:06

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.