I know that “that is” comes from Latin “id est”, short “i.e.” and means “in other words”.

I would like to know whether there is a French equivalent for this phrase.

C’est-à-dire
    – Édouard
    Apr 28, 2014 at 11:53
    Note that i.e. is also used in french as is, especially (but not limited) to refering scientific work (mathematical, for instance).
    – mansuetus
    Apr 28, 2014 at 12:23
  • @mansuetus, Good point! Apr 28, 2014 at 12:47

2 Answers 2

I think the closest translation of “that is” would be “c’est-à-dire”, which litterally means “that is to say”. It can be shortened to “c-à-d” or “c.a.d.

Autrement dit” and “en d’autres termes” also both exactly mean “in other words”.

• It’s exactly what I’m looking for, the more variants the better. Much obliged! Apr 28, 2014 at 12:11
    @LucianSava Note the the shortened version is not nearly as common as “i.e.” is in English, I think you should generally avoid it in formal writing.
    – Relaxed
    Apr 28, 2014 at 18:05
  • @Annoyed, duly noted! Apr 29, 2014 at 14:03

à savoir is the French equivalent of Latin's 'id est'

In some contexts à savoir might be a good equivalent. But would you care to elaborate a little more? Apr 30, 2014 at 17:54
    "the" French equivalent? No.
    – Did
    May 2, 2014 at 6:33
    I think one can une à savoir and c'est-à-dire quite interchangeably, although the latter is more common.
    – VH-NZZ
    May 3, 2014 at 10:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.