Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

It seems a little bit strange, “counterpart” got a meaning of opposite or against. When I looked on the internet I found that it means “homologue” and “équivalent”. Is that correct?

Additionally, is “counterpart” written with “u” or not? I.e., do we write “counterpart” or “conterpart”?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Stéphane Gimenez May 3 at 12:38

• This question does not appear to be about French language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I think you should avoid using back ticks in your posts. Back ticks are meant for the inline inclusion of code (which is rarely useful here) can mess things in some case — e.g. speech synthesis. –  Édouard May 3 at 11:56

The second question from your post is off-topic (it’s about english). The correct word is “counterpart”. –  Édouard May 3 at 11:58

As currently phrased this question is about English. –  Stéphane Gimenez May 3 at 12:38
add comment

1 Answer 1

Here’s an extract1 from the Oxford Dictionary of English:

Counterpart (noun) 1. a person or thing that corresponds to or has the same function as another person or thing in a different place or situation: the minister held talks with his French counterpart.

As you can see, there is no notion of opposition. “Counterpart” means, more or less “the same, but in a different context”. The proper translation would is thus indeed “homologue” or, in some contexts, “équivalent”.

Homologue (A., —subst.) Personne ou collectivité remplissant un rôle analogue d'une structure à une autre, d'un pays à un autre.

1. The other entry is of little interest here.
share|improve this answer
add comment

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.