Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I'm a Moroccan dialect native speaker, and I have a good French, but I still have a problem that I think in Moroccan about objects and things. For example a question in French is feminine whereas in the Moroccan language is masculine, so it is quite likely for me to say "un question" instead of "une question".

I want to ask if there a solution for this problem so I can think completely in French.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Gilles May 7 at 19:36

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Habits. It's just a way of thinking, to determine what could be feminine, and what could be masculine. Only experience can help you. There is quite a "big" kind of thing that will be of some type, but there is always exceptions. –  Larme May 7 at 12:20

1 Answer 1

I don't believe there is a generic solution to your problem; genders tend to be language specific and while while a lot of them are the same across languages some are not (e.g. die Sonne in German vs. le soleil in French).

As far as I know all French nouns ending in -tion are always feminine.

share|improve this answer
Of course there is always at least one exception. For instance, un bastion. –  Stéphane Gimenez May 7 at 12:27
And since you mention it, there is actually very little correlation (if any at all) between German and French. Correlation with other romance languages (e.g. Spanish or Italian) is much higher. –  Stéphane Gimenez May 7 at 12:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.