Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

So here is the context: Suppose as a tourist one is helped by someone (not a local though), talking to the locals to get the right directions for me etc. Chances of meeting again seem negligible unless huge (and I mean really huge) coincidences happen. In the end while separating, she says "à bientôt". Wouldn't "au revoir" been more relevant? What is the difference between the two?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Your are right "Au revoir" is the good way to leave somebody you will not meet again.

"À bientôt" may be a habit, or a try to encourage the foreigner to come back again in France!

With the latter you hope you will see the person again within a short period of time. With the former, the lapse period is simply indefinite.

share|improve this answer

Thanks very much. Could you explain me what you mean with your last sentence, please? –  Abhimanyu Arora May 26 at 9:55

Sorry, to understand replace maner by line (about lines I've written) : "à bientôt" (see you in a short time), "au revoir" (see you later) –  cl-r May 26 at 16:32

Au revoir is, as you say, indefinite (general). I would say that a better way to say good-bye to someone you are pretty sure you will not see again is adieu. Au revoir literally means until we see each other again. –  Drew May 27 at 4:00
@Drew I wouldn't recommend using « adieu » even when you are sure you'll never meet again but stay with « au revoir » despite its inner meaning. Nowadays, in spoken French, « adieu » is almost only used for theatrical effects. –  jlliagre Jun 12 at 1:58
@Drew Provence usage is special, "Adieu" is still used there, especially by elder people, as a generic greeting (Hello, Bye) from the Provencal "A Diéu Sias" (Be to God), Occitan "Adieussiatz". It hasn't at all here the standard French "last salutation" meaning. –  jlliagre Jun 12 at 6:24

À bientôt

Literally means “See you soon”.

If you translate it literally. It's mean "see you soon". But a lot of people say it just to say "good bye". They say too "à tout à l'heure" (or "tantôt" in Belgium) what's mean "see you later" even if you don't see him later. Just another way to say "good bye".

A bientôt > See you soon

Au revoir > Goodbye

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.