Take the 2-minute tour ×
French Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for students, teachers, and linguists wanting to discuss the finer points of the French language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I came about the following sentence:

“Consigne: Avec votre dictionnaire, trouvez deux mots de la même famille que”

I understood that with my dictionary I have to find two words with the same family. What do “consigne” and “que” mean here?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Laure, Stéphane Gimenez Jun 7 at 22:57

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Please look up the meaning of words or expressions in a dictionary first. If you did so and found nothing satisfactory, mention that in your question. Do give context for where you heard or saw the word." – Laure, Stéphane Gimenez
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The sentence is incomplete, "que" has to be followed by the word / words. It's même que you have to look for. And consigne is also in the wiktionary. –  Laure Jun 7 at 17:28
Try and look in different dictionaries. Consigne must be be in any dictionary, and if you can find même in a dictionary you're bound to have an example sentence with que. For instance here or here –  Laure Jun 7 at 17:35

1 Answer 1

up vote 3 down vote accepted

"Consigne" means "instruction". Here, it just announces that the following sentence is the thing to be done. Similarly you could find in an exercise book:

Exercise: What is 2+2 worth?

The final "que" is a part of the expression "la même que", in this context "the same family as". As Laure said, it seems there is a word missing.

Your interpretation would be good if the que was not here.

"de la même famille": "from the same family"

"de la même famille que x": from the same family as x".

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.