In English it's very common to use the expression “I know it like the back of my hand” to express that you know or understand something extremely well.

In French I found “connaitre par cœur”, “connaitre comme le fond de sa poche” and “connaitre sur le bout des doigts”. In which context is each of those appropriate?

Are there any other French expressions of similar popularity and meaning?

Les traductions les plus courantes : Je le connais comme le fond de ma poche ; je le connais par cœur – cl-r Jul 18 '14 at 14:44
  • When I was kid, my mom funnily used "Je te connais comme si je t'avais fait" ie "I know you like if I had made you". – Taladris Jul 23 '14 at 6:49

I would say connaître sur le bout des doigts, the others have slightly different meanings

• connaître par cœur is straightforward knowing by heart. See also apprendre par cœur → learn by rote
  • connaître comme le fond de sa poche or just comme sa poche is generally use for place, e.g. one usually knows his hometown comme le fond de sa poche.

I would say that the French expression "je connais X sur le bout des doigts" is the closest to “I know X like the back of my hand” in terms of meaning and image. For meaning only, I agree with cl-r's suggestions.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.