I came about this sentence "mal pagé". What does it mean? If we translate it literally, it seems it means "wrong page"? But, I think it should have some meaning as a sentence, doesn't it?

More context would be useful. Also, no need for thanks, thank answers by voting them up ; finally, the “France” tag is here for question which refers to specificity to the French language spoken in France as compared to French spoken everywhere else ; please try to avoid using unless needed. – Édouard Jul 24 '14 at 11:10
    For this question to be answered accurately, we need context. – Stéphane Gimenez Jul 24 '14 at 13:24

Literally, “mal pagé” does not mean “wrong page” as “pagé” is not “page” and “mal” is an adverb (badly), not the adjective “mauvais”.

“Pagé” is probably the past participle of the verb “pager”, which is slang for “to sleep“ or “to lie down”), used here as an adjective. So my best guess is it is slang for “uncomfortably lying”.

• Indeed, French "le page" is slang for "the bed" (different from "la page" which means "the page"), and this expression clearly comes from the verb "se pager" (or "se coucher") - "to go to bed". Therefore "uncomfortably lying" seems accurate to me. – Rafalon Sep 20 '17 at 11:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.