Est-ce que c'est vrai, que en français (dans la langue courante) on dit « partir au bord de la mer » quand on part pour aller simplement « à la mer » ?

On peut dire plus simplement « partir à la mer » ou « aller à la mer » ?

How to say correctly in French « I'm going to the sea » ? Are there different correct ways to say it in the common spoken language?

Est-ce que c'est vrai, que en français (dans la langue courante) on dit « partir au bord de la mer » quand on part pour aller simplement « à la mer » ?

Oui, c'est l'une des façons de le dire.

On peut dire plus simplement « partir à la mer » ou « aller à la mer » ?

Oui, on peut aussi. « Aller à la mer » est très courant, en particulier lorsqu'on l'oppose à « Aller à la montagne/à la campagne ».

Si l'on va « sur ou dans la mer », on dira plutôt « Je vais faire du bateau, de la plongée; etc. ».

How to say correctly in French « I'm going to the sea » ? Are there different correct ways to say it in the common spoken language?

There are many ways to say it:

• Aller à la mer (often vs "aller à la montagne").
  • Aller au bord de la mer.
  • Aller sur la côte.
  • Aller à la plage.

If the plan is to go further toward the sea, one can be more descriptive:

• Aller en mer
  • Aller faire du bateau/de la voile/de la plongée/du surf/...

Depends on whether you mean go to sea, as in a boat, or go to the seashore or go to the seaside.

In other words, it's the same difference as in English.

In English, go to the sea (“aller à la mer”) is sometimes used to mean go to the seashore (“aller sur les côtes / les bords de mer”). Go to sea (“aller en mer”) is not ambiguous in the same way as go to the sea.

• Can you please write me the different versions? Thank you. – ᗩИᎠЯƎᗩ Sep 28 '14 at 8:29
  • Not sure what you are asking. partir a la mer means go to sea, as far as I know. partir au bord de la mer means go to the seaside. Do you mean go out to sea in a boat or go to the seashore for a swim, tan, vollyball, and picnic? – Drew Sep 28 '14 at 15:52
  • For example, you planned to go to Nice for the weekend. How would you answer to your friend asking: "Where are you going?" "Je vais à Nice" ou "Je pars à la mer" ou "Je pars au bord de la mer"...? – ᗩИᎠЯƎᗩ Sep 28 '14 at 18:23
  • If I were going to Nice, for whatever reason: "à Nice." Otherwise: "au bord de la mer." – Drew Sep 28 '14 at 19:07
    @AndreaCarrer: I added the French equivalents. – Stéphane Gimenez Sep 28 '14 at 20:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.