At the end of French paragraph, I had this sentence, which was marked as 'unclear' by my teacher:

Je n'en ai pas vu assez à savoir c'est comme.

I did accidentally omit the ce qui part from what it is like below, because I was rushing, but I was intending to say:

I haven't seen enough of it to know what it's like.

In the construction of:

Je [I] n'en ai pas vu assez [have not (n'en + ai + pas) seen (vu) enough of it (en - before)]

à savoir [to know] ce qui [what] c'est comme [it's like]

I made some other attemps, but are any of these better? I actually think the preposition should be de or pour instead of à.

Je n'en ai pas vu assez de savoir ce qui c'est comme

Je n'en ai pas vu assez pour savoir ce qui c'est comme

• In your original sentence I haven't seen enough of it to know what it's like what is it referring to? It would help us give you the best answer... – Alexis Pigeon Oct 9 '14 at 17:14
  • @Alexis Pigeon - une église - so it would probably be elle? – user3476093 Oct 9 '14 at 17:15

With ce qui, the sentence would not really make sense, either “Je n'en ai pas vu assez à savoir c'est comme ce qui” or “Je n'en ai pas vu assez pour savoir ce qui c'est comme” or any variation actually.

Here c'est comme for it's like is too litteral, you have to use “ça ressemble à …” or a synonym like “ça a l'air de …” instead. So since you're talking about a church : “Je n'en ai pas vu assez pour savoir de quoi elle a l'air” assuming the church has been mentioned before.

Or maybe slightly better, a bit more idiomatic, I think : “Je ne l'ai pas assez bien vue pour savoir à quoi elle ressemble”.

• It has already been mentioned before, so I think I will use 'Je n'en ai pas vu assez pour savoir de quoi elle à l'air'. Merci – user3476093 Oct 9 '14 at 19:39

The first part of your sentence is correct, up to "assez". Then you should use "pour" to translate "to":

• Je n'en ai pas vu assez pour savoir...

To translate "what it's like", I would prefer the shortest version: "comment c'est". Other options that keep the notion of "it's like" are "à quoi ça ressemble", "de quoi ça a l'air".

So the complete sentence would be:

• Je n'en ai pas vu assez pour savoir comment c'est.

You must say « Je n'ai pas vu assez pour savoir à quoi ça ressemble. »

Je n'ai pas vu assez... (de) quoi ? Il manque un bout :-( – FredP Oct 9 '14 at 19:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.